Thursday, January 3, 2008
new years eve on the beach in brazil
Although Matt and I bailed on attending the party, we still found the traditions interesting-- dressing in white, eating a very large feast, then going down to the beach with everyone else who was there, and either viewing or setting off fireworks, and (at least some people) throwing flowers into the ocean for the goddess Yemanja (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1310/is_1991_August-Sept/ai_11322122/pg_1), of Yoruba origin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemaja). These pictures are from New Year's day, 2008, early in the morning on the beach near Ubatuba, Sao Paulo state, Brazil.
- The Beach
- Ed and 'Na's wedding
- First days in Brazil-- Santo Antonio do Pinhal
- Exploring Sao Paulo-- downtown and the Immigrant M...
- exploring Sao Paulo-- Mercado Municipal
- Sao Paulo-2
- several days in Sao Paulo-- 1
- videos of the beach in the morning-- two different...
- more new year's images from Itamambuca
- new years eve on the beach in brazil
- ▼ January (10)